REMINDER – The deadline for receipt of nominations and all supporting materials is March 24, 2023
The Canadian Register of Health Service Psychologists invites nominations for three members of the Board of Directors.
The governance of the Canadian Register of Health Service Psychologists (CRHSP) is based on an Excellence model. Its advantages are a smaller, strategically oriented Board of Directors with Directors chosen to enable achievement and development of strategic priorities. There is also a provision for Public members of the Board.
Information that may be helpful to prospective nominators and nominees are the following features:
1. Broad authority is allocated to a Board of Directors that is ultimately accountable to the Members through the Annual General Meeting (AGM). The Board is composed of five Registrant members and two Public members, plus a Representative from the National Register of Health Service Psychologists. The Officers are the President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. A Public Representative may hold the position of Secretary or Treasurer. Other Officers shall be Registrants. The Officers shall be elected annually by and from among the members of the Board.
2. Members shall be convened to an Annual General Meeting (AGM). At the AGM, those present will vote on the final slates for any open seats on the Board.
3. The current members of the Board and their respective terms are:
Dr. Paul Greenman, Registrant (2020-2023)
Ms. Susan Nicholson, Public Representative (2020-2023)
Dr. Donna Ferguson, Registrant (2021-2024)
Dr. Jenny Keller, Registrant (2021-2024)
Dr. Rick Parker, Registrant (2021-2024)
Dr. Morgan T. Sammons, National Register (2021-2024)
Dr. David Pilon, Registrant (2022-2025)
Mr. Mark Lawrence, Public Representative (2022-2025)
Mission and Objectives
In considering nominations, it will be helpful to keep in mind that the Canadian Register is a non-profit corporation that:
(1) identifies health service psychologists who meet prescribed educational and training requirements
(2) publishes and disseminates a register of health service psychologists to assist health service organizations, third party payers, and the general public
(3) promotes and protects the public’s access to qualified health service psychologists
(4) conducts periodic research
(5) develops and offers continuing education
(6) maintains relationships with other provincial / territorial, national, and international psychological organizations to advance common goals
Criteria for Open Board Positions to be Elected at the 2023 AGM
There are two Registrant and one Public Representative Board seats for which nominations are sought. Each has its own criteria.
- Registrant at all levels of experience including those early in their career (two seats)
– Ability to contribute actively to achieving the strategic priorities of CRHSP
– Strong interest in contributing to innovative developments in health care and / or emerging areas of practice
– Actively involved in the delivery of psychological health services to the public
– Participation in provincial / territorial or national psychology organizations
- Public Representative (one seat)
– Experience in the governance of non-profit organizations
– Commitment to improving access to health care
– Familiarity with the regulation of professions and public protection is desirable
– Expertise and interest in areas that will add to the breadth of experience on the Board
– Cannot be a psychologist nor be in training to become a psychologist
Submitting a Nomination
1. Self-nominations are welcome. Nominations may also be made by one or more Registrants, by Members, or by private or public sector organizations.
2. Each nomination must be accompanied by a CV, a statement signed by the prospective nominee agreeing to be nominated and to serve if elected, and a letter explaining how they meet the criteria for the Board seat for which they are proposed. In the case of persons being nominated by others, it is encouraged that the prospective nominee also submits their own statement of interest.
3. The deadline for receipt of nominations and all supporting materials is March 24th, 2023.
4. Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged. These should be sent to [email protected] with the word Nomination in the Subject line.
For the signed statement agreeing to be nominated and to serve if elected, electronic signatures are acceptable in the form of a signature incorporated into the text or as an email message from the prospective nominee’s own email address.
Those submitting paper copy nominations should send them to:
Canadian Register of Health Service Psychologists
PO 91570, RPO Mer Bleu
Ottawa, ON K1W 0A6
Review of Nominations, Creation of Slates and the 2023 Elections
The Bylaws provide for a Nominating Committee. It will conduct an initial review of all nominations and submit a report to the Board. The whole Board will receive information on all nominations submitted and decide on a slate for each position.
1. As prescribed, the slates proposed by the Board will be sent to all Members. It is expected that this will occur in late March 2023. Five Members may then make further nominations by April 15th. Any such additional nominations will be included on the final slate(s) to be voted at the 2023 AGM (subject to the nominee being a Registrant for Registrant seats, or a non-Registrant for a Public Representative seat). Nominators are strongly encouraged to submit nominations they may wish to make by the March 24th deadline for the initial Call for Nominations. The National Register Representative on the Board is nominated according to a separate procedure.
2. All candidates for each slate may submit a 350-word statement on their interest in serving on the Board, as well as describing their relevant experience and expertise. These statements will be included with the slates to be sent to Members in advance of the AGM.
3. Recognizing that not all candidates may be present at the AGM, a rule was adopted whereby there may be no speeches by or on behalf of any candidate, during the conduct of the elections.
4. The federal legislation through which the Canadian Register received its Letters Patent and under which it is regulated as a non-profit corporation stipulates that the Board of Directors including the National Register Representative must be elected by the Members. Therefore, the 2023 elections will be conducted as part of the 2023 AGM.
This Call for Nominations is being sent electronically to all Registrants who have provided an email address.
The same information is being posted on the CRHSP website www.crhsp.ca .
By authority of the Board of Directors,
Jenny Keller, Ph.D., R. D.Psych.